Tuesday, October 8, 2013
Healthy & Yummy, (cream-less) Roasted Pumpkin & Sweet Potato Soup
Wow! It's my first time making pumpkin soup and I must say while it's not too difficult, it's pretty time consuming. However, the resulting soup dish is very well-worth the time and effort! It's smooth, it's thick, it's roasted aroma shone through and just a teeny weeny bit of honey enhanced the flavor even more. It's wow wow wow, I cannot stop slurping this soup. Much thanks to "Grab Your Spork" for sharing this wonderful recipe so I may further spread the goodwill and may more people benefit from this very healthy yet robust soup!
I used chicken stock but to make it vegan, just use vegetarian stock instead.
1.5kg pumpkin (cored but skin on)
0.5kg sweet potato (skin on)
2 bulbs of garlic
1 large onion
1.5L of chicken stock
1 tablespoon of honey
Olive Oil and Salt to taste
Yogurt or cream to serve
1. Pre-heat oven to 220C.
2. Wash and cut pumpkin and sweet potato into pieces. Skin the onions and 1 bulb of garlic.
3. Place pumpkin, sweet potato, onion sliced in half and 1 bulb of garlic with skin removed, on a pan, skin side down (for the roots) and drizzle olive oil and sprinkle fine seasalt all over.
4. Roast until they are soft and slightly brown on top, around 30 minutes for me. It depends on how big the roots are cut. Once done, remove from oven and remove the skins from the roots and mash them up.
5. Heat a large pot with a tablespoon of olive oil.
6. Sauteed the remaining garlic (skin removed) in the olive oil.
7. Once the garlic are slightly brown, add the mashed pumpkin, sweet potato, roasted onion and garlic into the pot.
8. Stir them together quickly as it may burn on the bottom.
9. Add half the chicken stock, and turn off the heat. Blend the soup, it will seem like a puree at this point.
10. Continue adding the stock and stir them into the puree until your desired consistency.
11. Add the honey, some black pepper and stir in. Turn on the heat again and bring to a boil.
Serve with either a teaspoon of cream or smooth watery plain yogurt. Garnish with coriander for an extra fragrance!