Anyhow, I chanced upon this banana sponge cake recipe.. It's light, it's spongy and it's easy to make. One-bowl-mix!
Banana Sponge Cake - adapted from here
- 3 Eggs
- 100g Sugar
- 3+1 Banana, lightly mashed
- 150g Cake Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 100g Corn Oil
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1. Sieve flour, baking powder and baking soda together 2 times.
2. In another bowl, beat eggs, sugar and 3 large banana at maximum speed till stiff/ribbon stage.
3. Fold in flour mixture and mix well.
4. Slowly swirl in oil and mix till batter is shiny and flowing.
5. Pour into baking cups and drop a slice of banana into each cup of batter.
6. Bake for 20 minutes if making muffin-sizes cakes or 40 - 45 minutes if using cake pans.
I happened to have some lemon cream cheese frosting and piped a swirl on each cake. Yums!
Lovely, bouncy sponge with chunky banana bits!