Sunday, June 10, 2012
Lemon Blueberry Yoghurt Cupcakes
So.. with so much fruits in the fridge, I made lemon blueberry cupcakes. Adapting a low-fat recipe that I see circulating around, from Alice Medrich, I added lemon juice instead of vanilla essence and blueberries for that anti-oxidant boost.
It turned out soft and pretty fluffy, though the lemon taste was not particularly pronounced. Would have to add more than 2 teaspoons next time and perhaps some lemon rind as well. However, husband and I both love the texture of this cake, it's not heavy nor dense like a butter cake but not light without bite like some chiffons. Just soft enough to be a somewhat similar to a steamed cake and crumbs are a little tighter and smoother than a spongecake. Try it to know it!
Ingredients, Makes 12 cupcakes:
2 cups cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar (Add up to 1 cup sugar if you like it abit sweeter)
90g unsalted softened butter
1 cup low/non fat unflavored yoghurt
2 teaspoon lemon juice (Add more if you like the lemon flavor to be stronger)
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C, line muffin tray with cupcake liners
2. Combine cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a big bowl and mix thoroughly
3. In mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
4. Add egg 1 by 1 to the mixture in mixer, continue to beat and combine
5. On med speed, add half the yoghurt and let the mixture combine
6. On low speed, add half the flour mixture
7. On high speed, add remaining yoghurt and lemon juice
8. On low speed, add remaining flour mixture. Beat in to combine
9. Spoon into cupcake liners, up to 75% of the height so as not to have a spillover effect
10. Add blueberries on top of dough and press them down slightly
Bake for around 18 minutes, until toothpick test comes clean.
Cool slightly and eat it while it's warm!
Best with a cup of Nespresso.